Monday, July 25, 2011

"Sleep on the Sheets"

Advice. Please don’t misunderstand this. I welcome advice as new parents. I WANT it! But, wow! Lots of advice has come our way. I really appreciate it because I really kinda don’t know what I’m doing yet. LOL! But I’ll get there.


I have received advice on topics ranging from emotionally coping and breastfeeding to sleeping and bathing. And everything in between. Recently David and I went to the mall to return some clothes I had bought for him. The woman helping us saw that we had a newborn and she asked me how I liked those 3am feedings. As the conversation progressed, it was time for some unsolicited advice! She suggested that when I wash Elianna’s sheets, that I lay on them for at least 5 minutes before putting them in the crib so she smells me and sleeps better. Sounds worth a shot to me!


Tonight David was reading a parenting book (that at least 4 people have recommended, unsolicited. And we LOVE it!) and he ran across this quote:

“In my experience, America’s favorite pastime is not baseball, but giving unasked-for advice to new parents.”


He immediately turned to me after reading it aloud and went on to say how true it was. He then brought up the encounter we had had just a few days prior with that woman.... “It’s just like the other day babe! We go to the store just to return our merchandise and head on our way and what do we get? Sleep on the sheets.... Sleep on the sheets.”


It cracked me up! But this is how I see it. When I know something is worth telling someone else to possibly help them in something they’re going through, I’ll want to share it! I figure if we’re reading parenting books to find new ideas, solutions, and answers, then we DO need advice. Solicited OR unsolicited. So please keep it coming! :)

3 comments:

  1. This makes me laugh!!! I have never heard that before! I like the description Sleep on the sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's great. and I'm impressed you are taking the advice to well! I know a couple who is just getting upset every time they get advice, yet they aren't very healthy with the baby. I think you are wise for taking the advice to heart, knowing what advice to keep and what to simply say, thanks... but no thanks. lol. All advice given comes from the right place and means only well. love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can remember some funny things people told me. I always just thanked them and then did what I thought was best. There were some old ladies at our church in California who insisted I should put a sweater or jacket on Aaron even when it was 90 degrees in the summer! I heard about it every time I was at church.

    ReplyDelete